This week we celebrate the Summer Solstice! This is an incredibly powerful time, one in which we have an opportunity to bring light to old beliefs, allow them to “burn” in the sun’s fire and then create new practices and beliefs about our self and our life. I’ve put together a list of some of my favorite Summer Solstice rituals…you may even choose to do all of these as you celebrate this day.
1. Greet the Sun as it Rises – go for a sunrise walk, during your walk pause to welcome the sun as it rises.
2. Wear the stone Citrine – Citrine is a stone that directly connects us with the sun…and it will bring your vibration into alignment with that of the sun…just as the sun shines brightly, so will you!
3. Salute the Sun as it Sets – take a sunset walk pausing to acknowledge the sun as it sets below the horizon.
4. Fire Ceremony – the summer solstice is a time of celebrating the fire of the sun…what better way to celebrate than to have a fire ceremony? (directions for you personal fire ceremony are below)
Create Your Own Fire Ceremony
Materials: Wood, paper & matches for the fire, 2 Small sticks, Scented olive oil as an offering
– Choose 2 small sticks. 1 for your personal intentions, and the other to represent your intentions for Mother Earth.
– Build the fire. Begin by placing the 2 pieces of kindling in the form of a Cross ( + ) on the bottom. Then place the rest of the kindling on top of it and build a teepee of wood above/around it.
– Create Sacred Space by calling in the four directions, the heavens, and the earth
– Start the fire.
– If you have a drum, rattle, flute or other instrument, you may choose to play that during this time.
– Make three offerings to the fire with scented olive oil:
1. First offering the scented olive oil to each of the four directions
2. Second offering the scented olive oil to the heaven and the earth
3. Third offering the scented olive oil to the circle honoring “all” those present.
– Watch for the fire to become “friendly” (it will likely change and burn in a different or softer manner) When the fire is “friendly,” you may come to the fire to offer each of your sticks holding your intentions.
– You may wish to draw the warmth of the fire into your stomach for Right Action, heart for Right Love, and 3rd eye for Right Thought.
– Close Sacred Space (four directions, Earth and Heavens)
– Remain with the fire until all flames are out.
Have a beautiful Celebration!
& Just like the SUN…Shine Brightly!